Sugaring Hair Removal
We at Sugar Plum Spa want to provide you with the best possible service. Carefully review the following information and contraindications prior to receiving your service.
Sugaring is an ancient art of hair removal. Consisting only of sugar, water and citric acid, the sugar paste is spread onto the skin (molding) and removed (flicking) by snapping the wrist, lifting the sugar off the skin and taking the hair with it. Sugar is all-natural, kept only slightly warmer than room temperature (no burning), lifts only dead skin (no bruising or tearing), and can remove hair as short as 1/8 of an inch long – making sugaring a superior service to waxing in nearly every way. Additionally, the hair is removed in the direction of growth virtually eliminating breakage and ingrowns, on the great majority of clients there is little to no after care and generally, clients who have tried both prefer sugaring as it is reported to cause less discomfort. Over time, you should notice a significant reduction in the amount of hair in regularly sugared areas.
Our Service Commitment
On occasion it may not be possible to get all the hairs during a service. This occurs when hairs have just started to grow and are not quite long enough. We offer a complementary touch-up within a week of your initial appointment. To take advantage of this offer call our spa at (206)512-3033 or book online. When booking online, make an appointment for you original service and write in the special requests that this is a complementary touch-up. For best results, regularly re-book within 4-6 weeks of the most recent service.
It is important to read these contraindications before getting a service.
- Sunburned, irritated or areas with open skin cannot be sugared.
- Moles cannot be sugared.
- You must wait a minimum of seven (7) days before sugaring after a light chemical peel or microdermabrasion.
- Sugaring cannot be performed if you have been in a tanning booth the same day.
- Sugaring cannot be performed if you have had laser skin resurfacing within the past year.
- Sugaring cannot be performed if you have had a physician administered peel within the past two (2) years.
- If irritation should occur, we recommend you use cold compresses or if the irritation persists, an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin to keep the area continually moist to avoid infection and scabbing.
- No sun/tanning booths for 2 days following a sugaring treatment. Extra precaution should be taken if using tanning accelerators. Wait 2-3 days to sugar before/after tanning with accelerators.
- No hot baths for 24 hours following a body sugaring treatment.
- No abrasives for 24 hours following a sugaring treatment.
- No deodorants for 24 hours following an underarm sugaring treatment.
- Women may experience extra sensitivity to sugaring up to a week prior to the beginning of their menses.
- If you are being sugared in an intimate area, we recommend no heat or friction in that area for 24 hours after the service to avoid irritation and introduction of bacteria.
- If you have any medical condition such as a disease of the blood or skin, auto-immune disorder, contagious disease, or any condition that would contraindicate hair removal, please decline the service.
Hair Removal is CONTRAINDICATED for clients using Accutane, Retin-A, Renova, Differin and other types of skin thinning medications within the previous 6 months to 1 year. Please read the label carefully and consult your physician prior to any hair removal procedure. Please inform your prior to the service if you are currently using any of the following, as these products can make the skin more sensitive and vulnerable to lifting during the service:
Accutane (you must be off of this medication for a minimum of one (1) year prior to service),
Adapalene, Alustra, Avage,Avita, Differin, Isotretinoin, Renova, Retin-A, Tazarac,
Tretinoin, Bleaching Agents, Hydraquinone, Trilumena, Nair, Benzoyl Peroxide (ProActive), Alpha
Hydroxy Acids (Glycolic, Lactic), Oral Antibiotics, Topical Antibiotics, Retinol, Salicylic Acid, Other
Exfoliants, Blood Thinners.
** This is by no means a complete list. Any medication that thins the skin, treats blood disorders, or causes sun sensitivity should be cleared by your doctor before receiving a service. Please talk to your doctor about any medication you are on and follow their advice. **
Sugar Plum Spa, its management and staff shall not be responsible for physical or medical conditions that occur should the client neglect to inform of any of the stated or unstated medications, conditions or contraindications. Additionally, client agrees to hold Sugar Plum Spa and its staff harmless of any damages that might occur from receiving this service.